POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 : Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0 Server Time
17 Jun 2024 07:43:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cloth simulator v. 0.1.0
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 26 Jan 2001 13:06:52
Message: <3A71BCBD.2B3F1FA4@gmx.de>

>         If you remember the cloth simulator I did for my latest IRTC entry, and
> of which I'd posted a couple of samples two month ago, I've just put a
> new version online. The core simulation engine is exactly the same, but
> now it reads its parameters from a file, so you don't need to recompile
> eache time (and you don't need to understand C++ to use it ;) You'll
> find the source code (GPLed), a linux binary (works on my machine, I
> don't guarantee it'll work anywhere else though) and and the doc at this
> address:
> http://www.enst.fr/~jberger/cloth/cloth.html
>
>         If somebody makes a dos/win binary, please let me know so I can add a link.

When compiling it with cygwin, it only complained about the 'if
(!isfinite(tmp))' in vector.cc.  I just commented it out to get it running
and it worked nice although with the sample parameters in the docu, it
generated 'NaN' values in the output.

I doubt these two things are related because the 'if (!isfinite(tmp))'
construction would not even finish the calculation.

I don't know any C++ so i would appreciate some info about both the 'NaN'
output and the isfinite() function

>         As time permits (and depending on my needs), I plan to add the following
> (no particular order):
>
> * a realistic friction model (the current one is pure fantasy);
> * a dynamic simulation model (plus animation facilities and wind);
> * use the semi-solid cloth model (should allow faster simulation);
> * handle self-collisions;
> * ability to read/write the cloth in a file;
> * ability to attach the cloth (like hanging curtains);
> * other objects to interact with;
> * ...
>
>         If you have other ideas, or if you'd like some features to be implemented
> first, don't hesitate to tell it!

Have you thought about adding it directly to Povray? that would make it
possible to use all Povray object for collision.

Another nice thing would be smooth meshes.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>